The 2012-2013 season kicks off for Towson basketball on November 9 against College of Charleston. From that first game on, the Tigers will attempt to keep pace with the expectations set by last season's squad. They'll need to replace 62% of last season's minutes with the contributions of five incoming freshmen.
The Towson defense will suffer from a 85.9% drop in blocked shots, the largest gap that the team will need to fill. Following that is rebounding, where they also lost a big 73.8% of last year's output.
Towson finished last year with an overall record of 1-30, landing in the cellar of the CAA with their 1-17 conference record. The Tigers lost to Delaware 72-65 in the CAA tournament. Towson will feel the loss of last year's seniors Robert Nwankwo (33 minutes per game) and Deyon Cook (3 MPG). The Tigers will also go without Deon Jones (transferred to Monmouth), Erique Gumbs (22 MPG), Jervon Pressley (17 MPG), Will Adams (12 MPG), and Alex Giergen (10 MPG).
The Tigers get back sophomore Kris Walden (3.2 assists/game), junior Marcus Damas (12.5 points/game), sophomore Jamel Flash (0.5 points/game), Bryan Blackstone (0.3 assists/game), and junior Christian Collins (0.9 points/game).
Incoming freshmen include 6-3 Jerome Hairston, 6-5 Marquis Marshall, 6-8 Barrington Alston, 6-7 Timajh Parker-Rivera, and 6-4 Jeremy Schulkin. The team also gets 6-8 senior Jerrelle Benimon (transferred from Georgetown), 6-6 junior Mike Burwell (transferred from South Florida), 6-2 sophomore Four McGlynn (transferred from Vermont), and 6-3 junior Rafriel Guthrie. The first CAA game for Towson is at North Carolina-Wilmington on January 2nd.
Tags: Robert Nwankwo
- Since 2002, Towson has an overall winning percentage of 27.6%.
- The Tigers have an average conference finish of 10.2 over the last 5 seasons. Over the past 16 the team has an average finish of 8.7.
- The average final RPI (last year) of opponents on this year's schedule is 181.0.
- This year's opponent with the highest RPI from last year is Georgetown (#13).
- This year's opponent with the lowest RPI from last year is Maryland-Baltimore County (#338).
- The last time Towson returned less than 39% of the team's statistical production was 2011-2012.
, Deyon Cook
, Deon Jones
, Erique Gumbs
, Jervon Pressley
, Will Adams
, Alex Giergen
, Kris Walden
, Marcus Damas
, Jamel Flash
, Bryan Blackstone
, Christian Collins
, Jerome Hairston
, Marquis Marshall
, Barrington Alston
, Timajh Parker-Rivera
, Jeremy Schulkin
, Jerrelle Benimon
, Mike Burwell
, Four McGlynn
, Rafriel Guthrie